Monday 14 March 2016

Background fun

Hello all and thanks for dropping in! Well the weekend was here and I had some time to play, yay, - so I experimented in my techniques journal and played with  a new background technique, (well for me anyway). Here first of all is the finished page:
I'll give you a quick run down on how I did the background. Mine was inspired by a video I watched on Youtube by Blanche Siegmann from La Blanche stamps.

There are 3 main steps to it: You need Ranger or indeed La Blanche speciality stamping paper, - I used Ranger and it worked fine.
Step 1 - cover your page with Metallic Distress Stain (I used Brushed Pewter).
Step 2 - When stain has dried, swipe over it with a Distress Ink Pad, I used two blue tones, Salty Ocean and Tumbled Glass. You can blend the colours a bit with a blending tool if you want.
Step 3 - Take some stencils of your choice, a damp cloth or baby wipe, gently rub over the stencil and the colour will lift. After that I did some more stencilling, this time using Archival ink in coffee.

I finished the background by doing some background stamping, using La Blanche stamps, and both Archival Black and gold acrylic paint.

Here is the finished background and I have to say I am pretty pleased with it and will definitely use this technique again.


Here you can maybe see a bit how the stamping in Black and gold kind of works together. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to pick up the subtle shimmer of the gold paint.

I added a few thin strips of old book paper and tissue tape for a bit more interest.

To finish the page I stamped a few Ephemera pieces, again, using various La Blanche stamps.
I also used a vintage photo from  a 7 Dots Studio  collection.
And here is the finished page.
With a rusted up pen nib added to the little paper strips.
And here at last the finished page glued in place in my journal.

Well, that's it for today, have a good week and stay creative! Thanks for your visit like always

31 comments:

Tamara said...

Lovely colors and layers.. the ephemera is so so charming. Such wonderful talents! Thank you for sharing and best wishes for peaceful, blessed week~

Tamara <3

Tamara said...

Lovely colors and layers.. the ephemera is so so charming. Such wonderful talents! Thank you for sharing and best wishes for peaceful, blessed week~

Tamara <3

Ink Art Designs said...

This is such a beautiful background Astrid! I haven't seen this technique before...but it looks amazing.
Dot x

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

love the textures!

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely background on your page, Blanche has some good videos. Hugs, Valerie

Brenda Brown said...

A fabulous technique Astrid and such a fabulous page as the result.
Have a great week.
hugs Brenda xxx

Barbara said...

Totally agree with Brenda! this is a fabulous work, the background is absolutely wonderful! Barbaraa

froebelsternchen said...

With your hands this clever technique made a just brilliant piece!! A gorgeous page Astrid ---
Happy new week!
I can tell you that I also admire your work - every project is unique and made with so much sense of taste and cpmpetence! Thank you for all the comments always for me - they mean a lot me.

Maryann Laursen said...

Such a beautiful background here as usual from you too hun. It´s really lovely and I love the texture in it and the colors are amazing. You did a really great job on this page here. I´m sure your journal will be over the top gorgeous, when it´s all finished some day. Have a wonderful week ahead here now.

chrissie said...

Wonderful effects Astrid and a very beautiful finished project

Love Chrissie xx

Annie said...

A fabulous background technique Astrid and the end result is stunning x thank you for sharing and have a great week
Hugs Annie x

Redanne said...

Definitely a gorgeous background, beautifully enhanced with the stamping and I just love the strip of paper with the rusty nib, it is gorgeous! Hugs, Anne xxx

Suzanne C said...

Ooooh Gorgeous and now I am off to try it! Fabulous background and lovely vintage ephemera.

Silvis Kreativstube said...

Hallo liebe Astrid,

ein wundervoller Hintergrund und die Gestaltung einfach perfekt.
Vielen Dank für den Link und die Beschreibung. Ich bewundere die Kunst so etwas herzustellen sehr. Ganz liebe Grüße Silvi

Diane D. said...

Can you tell me what rubberstamp you used? The whole piece is just beautiful!
Great job!

Meggymay said...

This looks gorgeous Astrid, not used that technique, but I will have try some time.
Yvonne xx

Patty O'Malley said...

Awesome page, Astrid! I love the technique and that gold shimmer.

Helen Wallace said...

Oh my goodness Astrid, your playing has such brilliant results. Thanks for the step by step details. I adore the finished product. TFS

Margaret Mifsud said...

This is wonderful!! Love the colour (when do I not?? LOL!!) and the background is simply amazing!! Thank you for the step by step instructions and I might go and find that video too. This piece is just stunning!! xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

A truly unique background and a gorgeous page! I will check the link later! Chrisx

Pamellia said...

Wow gorgeous Astrid! I am loving those background stamps, they really add a sense of texture! Beautiful colour combos, so vintage and stunning. hugs :)

Lucy Edmondson said...

This background is glorious, Astrid!

Lucy x

Unknown said...

Loving those stamps and the elegance they add. Such a gorgeous background, and makes for a stunning page!!! xx

Jackie PN said...

Absolutely stunning!! Thanks for turning us on to this video and technique Astrid!! xoxo

Mona Pendleton said...

Fantastic project Astrid! Love the stunning background! Thanks for sharing your creative process!

Paper Profusion said...

Wonderful background and love your blues Astrid. It's ages since I used any la blanche stamps, or any stamps for that matter! Nicola x

Marisa Job said...

Absolutely beautiful!! Love the background. Great instructions!!

Diana Taylor said...

What a stunning background, and what gorgeous stamps you have - that swirly design is beautiful and looks so good with that subtle stencilling. I love everything you've done here, the images are delightful and thank you so much for sharing your techniques with us.

Terry said...

There is just so much to love on this page! Astrid the background and colors are gorgeous! The subtle stamping and distressed vintage images looks amazing! Love this! Big Hugs!

Words and Pictures said...

What a gorgeous page - the sepia collaged elements look wonderful against the vivid background. Lovely!
Alison x

experiments in paper said...

Wow, I have been MIA here due to work commitments, so am treating myself to a catchup this evening! This is stunning, Astrid - that blue is fabulous with the sepia, and I love all the textures...and I ADORE your stamping! Perfect images and colors - love that combo of gold and black! Thanks for some much needed inspiration! xxx Lynn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key