Wednesday 1 April 2015

Colour your world for Our Creative Corner

Hello everyone and thanks for dropping in. Happy April and happy April Fool's Day to you.
This is my second project for today, the first one can be seen HERE.

As it so happens, this will be my last project for OCC, as I have decided it is time for me to move on. But if you visit the blog there, you will see there are many amazing design team members, old and new left!

Well, there you are, - April already, and for us in the Northern Hemisphere that means Spring should be well and truly on it's way.

The lovely Laurie is our host at Our Creative Corner, and this is what she had to say about her challenge:
Here in the United States we are coming into spring - the season when nature comes forth with new life.
Soft green grasses grow in the fields and the trees bloom in glorious colors with the promise of fruit.
Tulips and daffodils emerge from the soil after a long winters nap.
The colors of spring, the sights and sounds of nature at this time of the year renews my soul.
In the spring time the colors of nature are different around the world.
For my challenge this month I want you to

Color Your World

For this challenge create a project with the colors of spring time where you live.

Show us what colors renew your soul
Well, for me the colours I associate with Spring are green and yellow with possibly a hint of blue and purple, and I decided to make colour the main focus of my project:
It's a large card for my best friend, whose birthday is on the 7th of April.
The background was created with a piece of watercolour paper and Tim Holtz Distress Stain Sprays, some Aquatint Gold and I used the clingfilm technique, a favourite of the moment.
The focal images are created with a scrap of a paper serviette, adhered with matte gel medium,
 and one of the two butterflies from Tim's new Butterfly Duo that come with their own embossing folder.
It too was cut from water colour paper treated with the same technique and then I darkened it a bit with Decoart Quin. Gold fluid acrylic paint.
What I like about the cling film technique is that it often creates leaf like patterns, and no two pieces are ever the same.


The sentiment was stamped on a scrap of scrapbook paper with the help of the new Ken Oliver peg stamps. These are so clever as they click together, making it much easier to get the spacing right.
Here in Scotland, April often only gives us promises of Spring to come, so it seemed like an apt sentiment.

Well, that's it for now, but I will be back later in the day with my third project. These firsts of the month are always busy with so many new challenges starting.....

Hope you will have a great month, and thank you for visiting!!

27 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Another gorgeous creation, you busy bee! Hugs, Valerie

chrissie said...

Stunning and the cling film technique makes the background looked textured. It would look wonderful framed and hung on a wall

Love Chrissie xx

Rita said...

Good Morning Astrid. Your piece of art for today is beautiful, but as you know I adore your wonderful work. Love the techniques that you describe so well. Have a Good Day. Hugs Rita xxx

Ros Crawford said...

This definitely says Spring to me!! Beautiful and with a gentleness about it ... I only wish we had the weather to go with it!

Annie said...

Spring is here.....Yay !! I so love Spring and this is gorgeous. I love the colour palette and wonderful floral details. The butterfly looks perfect sitting there.............roll on drier/warmer days xx

Hugs Annie x

Candy C said...

Astrid...this birthday card for your friend is besutiful. I am so curious about the cling film technique....could you share what you did? I love that look you got. Besutiful colors and textured look. Your Tim butterflies are beautiful as well!

Patty O'Malley said...

Beautiful card and texture. I'm sure your friend will treasure it!

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

Lovely - I may have to play with some clingfilm! Perfect image for spring.

Pamellia said...

Wow Astrid, this is breathtaking!! Your crinkled background is stunning with those amazing colours and that awesome splash of vibrant blue on the flowers!! LOVE IT!! Beautiful butterfly too! hugs :)

massofhair said...

Your Friend will love her card Astrid it is so fresh and Spring like. I tried the cling film background technique but it didn't work for me must try it again very soon as i do love the unique effects it leaves.

Looking forward to seeing where your new adventures take you :-) xxx

Unknown said...

You "colored your world" with a bit of mystic and magical flow Astrid. This is beautiful. That background is stunning. Makes me think of what a butterfly might see while flying through a lush beautiful place in the forest. Somehow it just reminds me a special secret place! Happy Easter Astrid. j.

Joan said...

Fabulously coloured world, love that cling film technique you gave used and the the lovely flower from the serviette.

Joan

Dorthe said...

Another stunning card, for someone lucky,- love the background here,too- you have created a most wonderful light, and the butterfly is lovely, with the beautiful paper napkin flowers !
Have a lovely Easter,Astrid.
Dorthe, xo

Unknown said...

Oh Astrid--you've got my favorite color at play here with this beautiful, bright sunny yellow background! Your friend is going to love this gorgeous birthday card :) Oh man, I'm still waiting for my butterfly duo, that seems to be on terminal back order ;) :) I want to make butterflies just like this :) I need some butterflies :) :)
Astrid, I'll miss working with you here at OCC, but I'm so glad and fortunate to be able to be with you on the AVJ team :) Watch out--crafty times ahead :)
Happy Spring to you, Astrid! This card surely colored my world :) XOXO-Shari

froebelsternchen said...

JUST AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Words and Pictures said...

Lovely sunshine springtime colours - the vivid blue of the flowers is just glorious against the golden glow, and I'm loving your clingfilm effects too.
Alison xx

Redanne said...

I love Spring too and you have captured it beautifully in this card, I really like the pops of blue and the butterflies are a wonderful touch. Hugs, Anne xx

experiments in paper said...

Beautiful card, which certainly does mirror the promise of spring.....your colors are stunning, as is that gorgeous blue flower serviette.....what a wonderful gift for your friend! xx Lynn

Scrapintheattic.com said...

What a beautiful card Astrid, it really feels Spring like! Love the background x

pearshapedcrafting said...

A truly beautiful card! I really do believe now that Spring is on it's way!! Your friend will love this I'm sure! Chrisx

Jackie PN said...

I only hope we have Spring here soon- still too much snow!!
Your card is beautiful and I adore that brilliant pop of color from those flowers!! xo

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Gorgeous, I love the background. Shirleyxx

Laurie Moore said...

Hi Astrid, Thank you for coloring our world with you beautiful art work and your lovely personality. I'm going to miss working with you at the OCC but will keep my eye on you still here in blogland. Happy Spring! xxxx Laurie

Deb said...

Beautiful Astrid, lovely background and love your colour palette! Sorry to see you go at OCC, your work is always so inspiring.

Marisa Job said...

What a beautiful card!! You inspire me to make a mixed media card one of these days. I have all the supplies but not the time. Hugs!

Lys said...

I hope the promise will be done... I'm sure flowers and butterflies already know it! What a beautiful card, Astrid!

Unknown said...

Wondrful effects! Beautiful background! X

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key